Catullus: Poem 32 "Entreaty to a Call-girl" (From Latin)

Poem 32: Entreaty to a Call-Girl 
By Catullus
Translated by A.Z. Foreman

I beg you, be a sweetheart Ipsitilla,
my darling, my experienced beauty, call me
over to join your nap this afternoon,
and if you're willing, do me this huge favor:
Don't let some other client lock the door,
resist the urge to try and cruise the streets,
but stay at home and get yourself prepared
for nine successive screws - a fuckathon. 
If you'd have me at all, the time is now.
I'm on my back in bed, digesting lunch,
and my junk's jutting through my cloak and tunic. 

The Original:

Amabo, mea dulcis Ipsitilla,
meae deliciae, mei lepores,
iube ad te veniam meridiatum.
Et si iusseris, illud adiuvato,
ne quis liminis obseret tabellam,
neu tibi lubeat foras abire,
sed domi maneas paresque nobis
novem continuas fututiones.
Verum si quid ages, statim iubeto:
nam pransus iaceo et satur supinus
pertundo tunicamque palliumque.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Wonderful. Just the thing to rouse me from my late afternoon fog. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I still saw "Pastille" when I first read that line. :)

    ReplyDelete

Share it