Abraham Sutzkever: Execution (From Yiddish)

From A Day In The Hands of the Stormtroopers

Execution 
By Abraham Sutzkever
Translated by A.Z. Foreman
Click to hear me recite the original Yiddish

As I must, at their orders, I'm digging this hole.
I search in the dirt for what might console. 

A dig and a cut. A small worm is shaking
Away below me. My heart is breaking. 

My spade cuts him through. Then miraculously
One severed worm is two. Then three.

Another cut: they are four. Can it be
That all these lives were created by me? 

The sun comes through the dark of my mood
A conviction sets my arm firm: 

If a worm does not succumb to the spade, 
Are you any less than a worm? 

- May 22, 1942


The Original:

עקזעקוציע
אַבֿרהם סוצקעווער

גראָב איך אַ גרוב ווי מען דאַרף, ווי מען הייסט!
זוך איך בעתֿ-מעשׂה אין דר'ערד אויך אַ טרייסט.

אַ גראָב און אַ שניט, און אַ ווערעמל קליין
נעמט צאַפּלען פֿון אונטן – דאָס האַרץ קען צעגיין.

צעשנײַדט אים מײַן רידל, און וואונדער דערבײַ:
צעשניטערהייט ווערן צוויי, ווערן דרײַ:

און ווײַטער אַ שניט, ווערן דרײַ, ווערן פֿיר:
און אַלע די לעבנס באַשאַפֿן דורך מיר?

קומט ווידער די זון אין מײַן טונקל געמיט
און אַ גלויבן נעמט שטאַרקן מײַן אָרעם:

אויב אַ ווערעמל גיט זיך ניט אונטער דעם שניט,
ביסטו ווינציקער דען פֿון אַ וואָרעם?

No comments:

Post a Comment